California Sushi Roll Stuffed Avocados
This may be the most convenient way to eat sushi, keto or otherwise. No cauliflower rice to cook, nothing to roll. Just California Sushi Roll Stuffed Avocados! You’ll love this crab stuffed avocado recipe!
I am SO excited about this low carb keto recipe! Just by the name–California Sushi Roll Stuffed Avocados–you know it’s going to be good. This is decidedly my new favorite recipe on this blog, and it’s going to take something royally delicious to thrust it from its throne.
As I was developing the recipe, I suspect my family grew tired of me exclaiming, “This is going to be amazing!” But it’s true–it is!
Guess who was speechless when I set their plates in front of them and they took their first bites of these sushi roll stuffed avocados. And then another. Silent bite upon silent bite. Which for them means it’s out-of-this-world delicious. No, of course I’m not over here silently chanting, I told you so!
Sushi is one of my loves. Unfortunately, it only recently became one of my loves about 6 months before I stopped eating gluten containing products.
Lucky for you (and mostly me), I love the challenge of turning our family’s favorite pre-keto foods into keto-friendly masterpieces. If I do say so myself.
Enjoy seafood? Try this Greek style tilapia!
This keto sushi recipe is essentially a sushi roll stuffed into an avocado. I loved it as it was, but I missed the crunchy onion flavor of the crushed fried onions that our sushi place tops its sushi rolls with.
Love Asian keto crab recipes? Try this Keto Chinese Buffet Baked Seafood Salad!
If you don’t want to do any cooking whatsoever, skip the part where the dried onions are sauteed, and you will still be drooling over these sushi stuffed avocados.
Crab Stuffed Avocado Recipe Notes
Both the crabmeat and the nori have lots of the great omega fatty acids we’re going for in a keto diet.
If you’re unfamiliar with sushi-making, you can find all the sushi ingredients in your grocery store’s ethnic or Asian aisle. That includes the pickled ginger, sesame oil, rice vinegar, gluten free soy sauce, and sushi nori (dried seaweed sheets).
You can decide for yourself if 1 tsp of rice vinegar makes this non-keto and if so, sub with other, non-grain based vinegar (white wine vinegar would work).
Most pickled ginger brands add sugar to their ginger, so you may want to either find one with no sugar or decrease the amount in the recipe. You could always use fresh ginger, too, though fresh ginger has more of a kick.
If you’d like to keep your sriracha mayonnaise free of damaging vegetable oils, try taking the 2-Minute Keto Olive Oil Mayonnaise and stirring in a few squirts of sriracha sauce to make your own sriracha mayonnaise.
Do you also have a favorite pre-keto meal that you miss? Comment about it below and maybe, just maybe, I might tackle it and turn it into a ketogenic-friendly recipe. If I do, I’ll comment back to let you know when it’s posted!
Supplies You May Need for California Sushi Roll Stuffed Avocados
- 2 avocados, sliced in half and pits removed
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 (6 ounce) can of white crabmeat
- 1 sheet of dried sushi nori, chopped
- 2 cup cucumber, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green onion
- 2-3 tablespoons very finely chopped pickled ginger
- ½ teaspoon gluten free soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon sesame oil
- Sea salt, to taste
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onion flakes, optional
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, optional
- Sriracha mayonnaise and sesame seeds, optional, for serving
- In a medium bowl, mash the cream cheese with the back of a fork.
- Add crabmeat, nori, cucumber, green onion, pickled ginger, soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil, and salt. Stir with a fork until well mixed. Scoop into avocado halves. Drizzle with sriracha mayonnaise. Serve sprinkled with sesame seeds, if desired.
- Optional step: Saute the dried minced onion flakes in olive oil. Watch closely and remove as soon as the color begins to golden at all. After they’re golden, they will change quickly to brown and burned if not removed from heat right away. Sprinkle over the stuffed avocados.
If you'd like a more keto-friendly sriracha mayonnaise, you can make this super easy 2-Minute Keto Olive Oil Mayonnaise and add a squirt or two of sriracha sauce.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 313Total Fat: 24.9gTrans Fat: 0gCarbohydrates: 12.5gFiber: 7gProtein: 14g