Keto Spaghetti Squash Alfredo Recipe with Chicken – Low Carb Pasta
Your family will LOVE my version of keto spaghetti squash alfredo with its ketogenic alfredo sauce and spaghetti squash for keto noodles! Creamy keto alfredo sauce smothers healthy cooked chicken and gluten free spaghetti squash for the fettuccine noodle substitute–yum!
Ingredients for Keto Spaghetti Squash Alfredo with Chicken
The fettuccine noodles in this keto dinner recipe are replaced with spaghetti squash cooked in the microwave (see further down for instructions).
For the low carb alfredo sauce, you’ll need:
- flax milk
- heavy whipping cream
- chicken base paste
- freshly ground pepper
- pink salt
- minced garlic
- parmesan cheese
This is a sauce I’ve been slowly working on over the years and I’m happy to say it’s pretty close to perfection!
Looking for more keto pasta ideas? Try my Keto Macaroni Inferno!
How to Cut Low Carb Spaghetti Squash
The first cut is the most difficult. Especially if your squash is getting hard and woody. If you have a hard time cutting it, you could google how to cut spaghetti squash and get some great methods.
For me, I–well, I get my biggest knife and whack it as hard as I can. *shrug emoji*
It’s one of those things I learned to do when adjusting to having a physical difference. The difference being that I’m a wimp.
Like my shortness. (Best kitchen tip for short ladies: To get to those ingredients in the back of the top shelf, use a rubber spatula. The long handle gives you reach and the rubber gives you grip. You’re so welcome!)
For overcoming wimpy arm weakness in getting through tough spaghetti squash skin?
I choose the biggest knife, get my other hand away from the squash, check behind me to be sure no one is in my slicing path, and I whack down on that vegetable with all my might.
It’s kind of the only way my wimpy arms can get enough force to actually cut the squash.
And sometimes it still gets wedged.
I know, it’s not the best method. You’d better go google a better one real quick and come back for this low carb alfredo. Ha!
Sign up below for more keto diet recipes from Keen for Keto!
How Do You Cook Spaghetti Squash?
There are a few ways to cook spagetti squash. For this keto spaghetti squash alfredo recipe, I like to use the microwave. I’ll show you how below!
The Easiest Way to Cook Spaghetti Squash
Have you been cooking spaghetti squash the old-fashioned way, in the oven? Stop it right now! Let me teach you how I cook spaghetti squash in the microwave!
- Cut the spaghetti squash
See above….or google a better way. Make sure your pieces are not too big. I normally cut mine into 2″ x 4″ strips.
It doesn’t matter so much what the seize is. The most important part is to make sure they’re uniform sizes, so they will cook evenly in the microwave.
- Place squash in container
Next, find a large microwave safe container and place your spaghetti squash pieces into it, skin side up. If you have a glass pyrex dish with a lid, that works perfect.
When I have a really humongous squash that won’t fit in my 1.5 quart pyrex dish, I use a big plastic bowl and cover it with plastic wrap.
- Add moisture
Every squash is different, and depending on how long it was stored before you bought it, it may be dry.
I always add a few tablespoons of water to help the spaghetti squash steam cook.
- Cover the spaghetti squash and cook
Cover the spaghetti squash with a lid or plastic wrap and place in the microwave. Microwave the squash for 8-15 minutes.
Again, every squash is different, which is why there’s such a wide range for the cook time. I’m pretty good at guessing now, but for a smallish squash, I would try starting with 8 minutes.
Open up your container at that point and push a fork through the flesh of the squash. If it feels firm but tender, it’s ready!
You’ll love all of our keto dinner recipe ideas!
Chicken Alfredo Spaghetti Squash Recipe Tips and FAQs:
- Should I cook my squash in the oven or microwave? Both ways work fine, but for this keto spaghetti squash chicken alfredo recipe, I like to use the microwave method for cooking the spaghetti squash. When I’ve cooked it in the oven, it tends to be softer and drier, whereas I like a more firm “noodle”.
- How do I cut a spaghetti squash? Try my above method….or probably best to google it. 😉
- Is spaghetti squash better for you than spaghetti noodles? YES!! While you may worry about the carbs in spaghetti squash, there’s no need. There are only 7 g carbs in spaghetti squash per cup (and only 5.5 grams if you’re counting net carbs!). Compare that to spaghetti noodles, which have a whopping 42 grams of carbs per cup!
- Is squash allowed on keto? Absolutely! See above bullet point. ^^^ I know, I know, squash is a bit higher in carbs than most foods you’d eat on the keto diet. But let’s look at the facts. 7 g carbs vs. 42 g in regular spaghetti. And the rest of the ingredients in this keto pasta dish add minimal carbs. One serving of this keto spahgetti squash alfredo is just 6 carbs! I’d say that’s pretty amazing for a squash dish.
- Does this reheat well? Yes. In fact, I always make a big batch so I can have leftovers for the next day!
Looking For More Keto Squash Recipes?
LOW CARB SPAGHETTI SQUASH ALFREDO FOR A Super EASY DINNER
At first when I started experimenting with spaghetti squash for pasta dishes, I was pretty skeptical.
In fact, the first try was amazing, and then I had several bad dinners after that before I figured out the secret to perfect spaghetti squash pasta.
The problem is that spaghetti squash tastes like, well, squash. It’s a bit sweet in that watery vegetable way, and not so much in a chewy pasta way.
To help create less of a squash flavor and more savory pasta flavor, I started putting the beef or chicken paste (depending on the dish) straight onto the squash strands after cooking them.
Sometimes I’ll even add some salt and butter, too. The squash really absorbs the flavor, so sometimes I need to add more, depending on how big my squash is.
Once I started doing this, I never had any issues with the flavor of my spaghetti squash pasta dinners.
I’ve got it down so good now that when I recently went through a difficult time, I had to make spaghetti with regular noodles for my kids and they told me afterward that they like the spaghetti squash version better!
Total mom win!
Have some yellow squash to use up? You’ll love this recipe for sauteed yellow squash and onion!
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 chicken breast, diced
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 cup flax milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chicken base paste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg (my favorite is Trader Joe's--it tastes different for some reason!)
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Himalayan pink salt, to taste
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese, and more if desired for serving
- Cook the spaghetti squash in the microwave in a covered dish with 1-2 tablespoons of water for 8-15 minutes until firm, but tender.
- While the squash is cooking, cook the chicken. Warm the olive oil in a medium pan over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, add the diced chicken. Cook on both sides for 4-5 minutes each. Set chicken aside and cover to keep warm while sauce cooks.
- While chicken and squash are cooking, start the keto alfredo sauce. Melt butter in a pan. Add the onions and saute about 10 minutes just until the onion begins to brown.
- Add the garlic and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add the milk, heavy whipping cream, and 1 teaspoon chicken base, and simmer gently for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- After 10 minutes, add the remaining ingredients. Stir until well-combined. Add the chicken to the sauce and simmer gently for 8 minutes until sauce is thickened to your liking and chicken is cooked through.
- When the spaghetti squash is done cooking, scoop out the flesh, being careful not to break too many strands. Add 1/2 teaspoon chicken base paste to the squash and gently stir it in so it's evenly spread over the strands.
- Add the squash to the pan with the keto alfredo sauce and chicken. Fold the squash strands in gently. Serve with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese, if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Better Than Bouillon Organic Chicken Base
Fun Dinosaur Pasta Server
Trader Joe's Ground Nutmeg (1.8 oz.)
Good Karma, Unsweetened, Shelf-Stable
Mueller Onion Chopper Pro Vegetable Chopper - Strongest - NO MORE TEARS 30% Heavier Duty Multi Vegetable-Fruit-Cheese-Onion Chopper-Dicer-Kitchen Cutter
Spice World, ORGANIC GARLIC - LARGE Container - 32 OZ
Pompeian Robust Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 68 Ounce
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 343 Total Fat: 27g Net Carbohydrates: 6g Protein: 17g
This yummy ketogenic spaghetti squash alfredo will hit the spot! Creamy low carb white alfredo sauce dotted with flavorful chicken and covers perfectly cooked spaghetti squash. Have you ever cooked spaghetti squash in the microwave? I’ll teach you how! Try this keto spaghetti squash alfredo with chicken today! | keenforketo.com | keto pasta | keto dinner | low carb dinner | low carb pasta