Keto Loaded Turnip Casserole for Instant Pot
This Keto Loaded Turnip Casserole for Instant Pot has all the bacon, sour cream, green onions, and cheesy goodness of a loaded baked potato casserole or a twice baked potato casserole, with sooo many less carbohydrates!
You may also like this Instant Pot Leek Soup!
Macronutrients for Loaded Turnip Casserole for Instant Pot
With only 3.2 net carbs per serving, you can save room for more yummy sides, like this Keto Orange Cranberry Sauce.
Don’t forget to get your FREE gift! Free Printout Keto Grocery List
How to Make Keto Loaded Twice Baked Potato Casserole (with turnips)
- Cook your bacon
My favorite way to cook bacon is in the oven. I bake mine at 375°F for 13-15 minutes and it comes out SO perfect–evenly cooked with just the right crispiness!
- Steam the turnips in the microwave
While your bacon is baking, you can get the turnips started. Peel the turnips and cut into cubes. Toss them into a microwave safe dish with 1 tablespoon of water, cover it, and steam in the microwave till the turnips are tender with you put a fork through them.
Take the steamed turnips out and mash them up a bit. If you like yours smoother, like mashed potatoes, feel free to stir them in a mixer instead.
- Put the keto turnip casserole together
Scoop the turnips into a large bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir until the butter is completely melted.
- Place the loaded turnip casserole in the Instant Pot
Place the trivet at the bottom of the Instant Pot and pour in 1/2 cup of water. Place foil over the top of the turnip casserole and carefully lower into the Instant Pot.
- Set the Instant Pot and finish off the turnip casserole
Set the Instant Pot on high pressure for 17 minutes, slow release for 5 minutes, and then enjoy!
Find more ketogenic side dishes here!
How to prepare turnips for keto twice baked turnip casserole
Turnips generally have a slight bitter taste. We reduce the bitterness of turnips by few methods:
1. Choosing fresher turnips. Turnips are generally in season October through March.
2. Choose smaller turnips. Smaller turnips are generally sweeter and more tender.
3. Trim and peel. Be sure to thoroughly trim and peel your turnips to get rid of more of that bitter taste.
4. Load them up with flavors! The yummy bacon, sour cream, dill, butter, cheese, and green onions in this Keto Loaded Turnip Casserole for Instant Pot really do a great job of masking whatever is left of the normally distinct turnip taste!
Love keto casseroles? Try one of these:
What can I serve with this keto twice baked faux-tato casserole?
This loaded turnip casserole is really great for serving as a Thanksgiving or Christmas side dish, but it also goes well with a pot roast or even as a main dish by itself! Enjoy!
- Peel turnips. Cut turnips into roughly 1.5 inch-sized pieces and place in a lidded microwave safe dish with 1 tablespoon water. Steam turnips in microwave until tender, about 14 minutes).
- Remove from microwave and mash with a potato masher till desired texture is reached. If you prefer a smoother casserole, you can process in a blender till smooth, like mashed potatoes.
- Place turnips in large bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients, and stir until butter is melted and the ingredients are evenly distributed. You may reserve some of the cheese to sprinkle on top, if you choose, or add extra.
- Scoop turnip mixture out into a round, 1.5 quart oven-safe glass or ceramic dish. Smooth the top over and place aluminum foil over the dish if finishing it in the Instant Pot. You can now choose to finish it in the Instant Pot or oven.
To Finish In the Instant Pot:
- Place 1/2 cup water in bottom of Instant Pot. Place the trivet in the bottom of the pot insert and put the foil-covered casserole dish on top of the trivet.
- Close the Instant Pot lid, making sure it seals, and turn the vale to "sealed." Cook at high pressure for 17 minutes. The pressure cooker will first build pressure for about 20 minutes before counting down the 17 minutes.
- When the timer beeps, allow the pressure cooker to slow release pressure for 5-10 minutes (that means don't do anything yet--it slow releases pressure on its own) and then turn the valve to "venting" to release the rest of the pressure. When you no longer hear pressure being released, open the Instant Pot and carefully remove the casserole (careful, it's hot!).
- Spoon onto plates and enjoy! You may serve your keto casserole with a dollop of sour cream and extra green onions, if you like!
To Finish in the Oven:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place the turnip casserole in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes until the cheese is melted and the top is slightly golden. Remove and serve with a dollop of sour cream on each serving, if desired. Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
16 PCS Pressure Cooker Accessories Compatible with Instant Pot 6,8 Qt,Steamer Baskets,Springform Pan,egg bites mold, magnetic cheat sheet,Stackable Egg Steamer Rack, Trivet, Silicone Mitts & Mats
UNEEDE Steam Release Diverter for Instant Pot,Silicone Steam Diverter Pressure Release Accessory Compatible with Instant Pot LUX,Duo,Duo Plus,Smart,Ultra (Green)
Instant Pot Duo 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Saute, Yogurt Maker, and Warmer|6 Quart|Teal|11 One-Touch Programs
Instant Pot DUO60 6 Qt 7-in-1 Multi-Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, Yogurt Maker and Warmer
CorningWare French White 1-1/2-Quart Covered Round Dish with Glass Top
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 3/4 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 241Total Fat: 22gNet Carbohydrates: 3.2gProtein: 8g