Keto Taco Casserole
Here’s the Keto Taco Casserole, the healthy taco hot dish you’ve been looking for! Lightly steamed, tender cabbage is combined with super keto taco meat (or your own favorite taco meat), low carb salsa, cheese, and green onions and baked until the flavors mesh perfectly, and then topped with sour cream and more green onions—the perfect Keto Taco Casserole!
Keto Cabbage Casserole
Cabbage is an underrated vegetable. Did you know it’s in the same family as broccoli, cauliflower, kale, and Brussels sprouts? Yep. And when you learn a few tricks, you can make a low carb cabbage dish that will be so incredibly satisfying.
Ingredients for Keto Taco Casserole and Why Cabbage is Good For The Keto Diet
This casserole recipe combines shredded cabbage, super taco meat, low carb salsa, cheese, green onions, olive oil. Toppings are optional, but recommended: sour cream, guacamole or diced avocados, and chopped green onions.
The main star ingredient in this taco hot dish is shredded cabbage. I was NOT a huge cabbage lover before, but after this keto taco casserole, I’ve been thoroughly convinced. Who would have thought that there would be ketogenic cabbage recipes out there worth trying! Great keto replacement for rice in any Mexican dish!
I’ll let you in on a little secret…when I’ve been in a hurry, I haven’t precooked the cabbage. It turns out delicious that way, too! But yes, I do steam the cabbage first.
When cabbage is steamed, it loses some of its strong, sulfury flavor. My kids definitely like it better steamed first. Before adding the shredded cabbage to this keto taco casserole, I steam it till it’s tender, but not completely cooked. You definitely don’t want soft or mushy cabbage in your taco hot dish.
I purposely measured my shredded cabbage in cups because cabbages vary so much in size. There’s a lot of wiggle room here, so feel free to add or subtract a cup of cabbage if you choose.
When your cabbage is shredded, you’ll need to steam it before adding it to the keto taco casserole. There are two ways to do this: the “correct” way and the lazy way.
The correct way is to put a little water in a pot, boil it, add a steamer basket to the pot, fill it with your cabbage, cover, and steam for 5-6 minutes.
The lazy way (my preferred method) is to just fill a pot with about 1 inch of water, boil it, add the cabbage, cover, and steam for 5-6 minutes, stirring once or twice. I say that I prefer this method because 1) sometimes I choose a huge cabbage that doesn’t fit in my steamer, and 2) it’s easier to just use a slotted spoon to get most of the cabbage out and then use a strainer to dump the water into and catch the rest of the cabbage. It seems a bit messier with a steamer because of how small the cabbage is shredded.
How to create a low carb taco casserole
- Shred your cabbage in a food processor
Be sure to shred your cabbage very finely. You can definitely do this by hand, but it will be more tedious and you’ll want to avoid the tendency to just leave bigger pieces. Smaller pieces of cabbage will absorb more taco seasoning and have less of the strong cabbage flavor.
- Steam the cabbage
Using a steam basket (or my lazy steaming method), steam the cabbage.
- Toss cabbage with seasonings and olive oil
Add steamed cabbage, olive oil, taco seasoning, and salt to large bowl (you may also do this right in the pan if your cabbage isn’t too bulky) and toss.
- Put your keto taco casserole together and bake!
Add keto taco meat (this recipe is the best!), low carb salsa, cheese, and green onions and toss thoroughly. Add more cheese on top if you like. Bake until melty, gooey, and hot!
- Add toppings and serve it up!
You can serve this low carb taco casserole up with any keto taco toppings you like. Our favorites for this keto taco casserole are guacamole, sour cream, and chopped green onions.
Keto Mexican Bubble Pizza and Taco Seasoning Recipe
Keto Super Taco Meat and A Week's Worth of Recipes to Use It!
Cheesy Keto Super Taco Instant Pot Omelet
Keto Biscochictos : Traditional New Mexican Christmas Cookies
Taco Stuffed Avocados
Keto Taco Soup
Easy Keto Lettuce Wrap Tacos
3 Ingredient Sausage Cream Cheese Vegetable Dip
Need more KETOGENIC DINNER IDEAS?
If you love this recipe, leave it a 5-star rating below! Thanks!!!
Keto Taco Casserole
- 4-6 cups very finely shredded cabbage (about 1 small to average sized head)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ teaspoon taco seasoning
- ½ teaspoon pink salt (if your taco seasoning doesn’t have salt)
- 2 cups taco meat
- ½ cup low carb salsa
- ¼ cup chopped green onions (and more for serving)
- 1 ½ cups shredded Mexican blend cheese
- Sour Cream
- Green onions, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Using a steamer basket, steam shredded cabbage for 5-6 minutes, or until tender but not soft (it will cook more in the oven).
3. In a large bowl, combine the steamed cabbage, olive oil, taco seasoning, and salt (if your taco seasoning doesn’t contain salt). Toss to cover cabbage completely.
4. Add taco meat, low carb salsa, cheese, and green onions. Toss.
5. Spread casserole ingredients evenly in the bottom of a 9”x13” glass baking dish. Sprinkle more cheese on top if you like.
6. Bake at 350°F for 20-25 minutes or until cheese is melted and slightly golden.
7. Serve with a dollop each of sour cream and guacamole, with a sprinkle of chopped green onions.
- Cuisinart DFP-14BCNY 14-Cup Food Processor, Brushed Stainless Steel
- Oster 108132.03 Steamer, 1, Stainless Steel
- Kirkland Signature Organic Salsa, Medium, 1.08 kg (Pack of 2)
- Fiesta Napkins Mexican Cloth, Bulk Set of 6. Assorted Colors, Fiesta Decorations, Cinco de Mayo Party Supplies Serape Table decorations Boho Chic Linens, Hippie Tribal Kitchen, Aztec Home Decor Coco
- Xplanet Mexican Table Runner Mexican Party Wedding Decorations, Fringe Cotton Serape Blanket Table Runner 14 x 84 inch
- Sherpa Pink Himalayan Salt, 2lbs Extra-Fine Grain
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 284 Total Fat: 17g Carbohydrates: 3 netg Protein: 16g