Chopped Taco Salad
I honestly didn’t know if I could make a mock doritos taco salad taste the same as the original salad. I’m happy to say that (according to my taste buds and those of my picky family), this keto chopped taco salad has done it!
Keto Chopped Taco Salad
If you’ve been here before, you know that salads are not my thing. I have to really, reeeeaally love a salad for it to pass my crazy-intense scrutiny.
I love this healthy taco salad.
And the fact that it’s a HEALTHY taco salad and still passes my strict salad standards is pretty amazing.
It started with the taco meat. Over several trials, I figured out how to make the low carb taco meat taste pretty darn close to those MSG covered triangles we call Doritos.
Actually, I have a whole list of awesome taco recipes that use this same taco meat, along with this keto taco salad, but this salad is what inspired the meat.
Another one of my favorites is my Mexican Bubble Pizza. I’ll leave a list of links and photos of the rest of these taco recipes just before the keto chopped taco salad recipe.
FAQ’s for Keto Chopped Taco Salad
Normally, I would say absolutely, go for it–but not here. I mean, you’ll have a pretty good taco salad by using your favorite taco meat in this keto salad, but if you read my intro, you know that I specially created the Super Keto Taco Meat just for this recipe. So subbing is not advised.
Nope. I just happen to have a small mouth and I enjoy chopped salad because the pieces are smaller and there’s more chance of me getting a little bit of everything in one bite. It’s pure preference, or to have something different.
I tried to make this salad taste as authentic as possible. I added in a few toppings (which are marked as optional in the recipe). If you want yours to taste more like the original Doritos taco salad, leave out the cilantro and lime juice. While these are delicious in taco salad, they do change the taste I’m going for here.
How to make Keto Taco Salad
Time needed: 10 minutes.
This low carb chopped taco salad could not be any easier. I’m not so sure you even need this “how to”!
- Make a batch of keto taco meat
Be sure to use Keto Super Taco Meat for this recipe. You can use a different taco meat recipe if you like, but remember, Keto Super Taco Meat was specifically made just for this taco salad recipe.
- Chop the lettuce, tomatoes, avocados, and cilantro
Chop the lettuce, tomatoes, avocados, and cilantro (if desired) and place in a large salad bowl.
- Add the shredded cheese and taco meat
Place the shredded cheese and warm taco meat in the bowl and toss all ingredients together.
- Add extra toppings as desired
Spoon into salad bowls and serve plain or with toppings, as desired. Possible taco salad toppings: sour cream, more cilantro, lime juice.
You May Need…
The following is an affiliate link. I earn from any Amazon purchases you make by following and using this link to purchase. Your support is appreciated!
If you’ve never used a salad spinner, you’re missing out! They rinse out your greens and keep them crisp instead of soggy. I’ve used several kinds before–trust me, you don’t want a flimsy one. This salad spinner is highly rated with awards to boot. Great for this keto chopped taco salad!
Keto Taco Casserole
Cheesy Keto Super Taco Instant Pot Omelet
Keto Mexican Bubble Pizza and Taco Seasoning Recipe
Chopped Taco Salad
3 Layer Mexican Dip
Easy Keto Lettuce Wrap Tacos
Taco Stuffed Avocados
Need more keto dinner recipes?
If you love this recipe, leave it a 5-star rating!!
- 4 cups romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 ½ cups warm Keto Super Taco Meat, recipe above
- ½ cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1 ¼ cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 avocado, diced
- ⅓ cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped (optional)
- Lime wedges, for serving (optional)
- Toss all ingredients in a large bowl. Serve.
I normally LOVE cilantro and lime in recipes, but there's a reason I put them as optional here. If you're going for the Doritos Taco Salad taste, you'll probably want to omit them. I've had this both ways (both ways taste delicious!), and it definitely has more of the classic Doritos Taco Salad taste without the lime and cilantro. Either way you decide to go, you'll love this!
- MUELLER Large 5L Salad Spinner Vegetable Washer with Bowl, Anti-Wobble Tech, Lockable Colander Basket and Smart Lock Lid - Lettuce Washer and Dryer - Easy Water Drain System and Compact Storage
- Lipper International 1174 Acacia Wave Serving Bowl for Fruits or Salads, Large, 12" Diameter x 7" Height, Single Bowl
- Lipper International 8203-4 Bamboo Wood Salad Bowls, Small, 7" Diameter x 2.25" Height, Set of 4 Bowls
- Lipper International 294-3 Cherry Finished Wavy Rim Serving Bowl with 2 Salad Hands, Large, 13" x 12.5" x 5", 3-Piece Set
- Core Silicone Salad Hands Red
- Sweese 1309 Porcelain Salad/Pasta Bowls - 22 Ounce - Set of 6, White
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 408 Total Fat: 32.5g Carbohydrates: 7.3g Protein: 23.5g
Pin for later!